If you haven’t noticed, I sew; a lot. Like almost every day. It is a great hobby. Not only do I keep myself busy and learning new techniques, but I make things!
Recently, I made a couple of gifts for Christmas. One for my hubby, which I will write about later. Today, I want to write about my gift for my daughter. She has for years wanted a 1940’s style peignoir. I don’t do marabou, but I do work with silk and lace. So I made her a surprise robe.
Here it is:
I used this pattern:
Now this robe was a labor of love and took a LOT longer than I expected. The pattern wasn’t actually a challenge. The fabric was! It was an unusual color: a gorgeous teal that was an ombre to almost white. To achieve the ombre from collar to hem, I cut the fabric crosswise.
The real problem with the lovely fabric was this:
Yup! It frays! Badly!! Early on, I realized that I would have to do French (enclosed) seams to contain the fraying. This is why:
As you can see, my first attempt at setting in the shoulder was a disaster. But my diligence eventually paid off:
But believe me, it was no small feat to finish all of the seams:
The fraying of the fabric was such a challenge that I told someone that it felt like I was sewing a cat! I started calling the robe The CAT!
It took me waaay longer than I thought it would, but I think it turned out well. My daughter was overjoyed. THAT makes it all worth the blood, sweat and tears!
I have three yards of the CAT fabric left, but I do not think I will be using the rest of this beautiful fabric anytime soon. I have to give
it … myself … a break. So I am on to other projects…
Until Next Time,